ES / EN
- August 21, 2026 -
No Result
View All Result
OnCubaNews
  • World
  • Cuba
  • Cuba-USA
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Infographic
  • Culture
    • Billboard
  • Sports
  • Styles / Trends
  • Media
  • Special
  • Cuban Flavors
  • World
  • Cuba
  • Cuba-USA
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Infographic
  • Culture
    • Billboard
  • Sports
  • Styles / Trends
  • Media
  • Special
  • Cuban Flavors
OnCubaNews
ES / EN
Home Cuba

Singer-songwriter Fernando Bécquer sent to prison

The change in the sentence takes place after Bécquer posted on his Facebook page two provocative song lyrics “still in the composition process,” which unleashed a majority rejection due to their misogynistic and offensive nature towards his victims.

by
  • OnCuba Staff
    OnCuba Staff
January 14, 2023
in Cuba, Gender
0
Cuban singer-songwriter Fernando Bécquer, accused of sexual abuse by a group of women and found guilty by a Cuban court. Photo: Havana Times in Spanish/Archive.

Cuban singer-songwriter Fernando Bécquer, accused of sexual abuse by a group of women and found guilty by a Cuban court. Photo: Havana Times in Spanish/Archive.

Singer-songwriter Fernando Bécquer, who had been sentenced last October to limited freedom without internment, as a result of multiple complaints of sexual abuse against him, must serve his sentence in jail, according to what was reported by the Havana Provincial Court.

The change in the sentence takes place after Bécquer’s post last Monday on his Facebook page of two provocative song lyrics “still in the composition process,” which unleashed a majority rejection for their misogynistic and offensive nature towards his victims.

As a result of this, “on January 10, the People’s Municipal Court of Centro Habana issued a resolution ordering the revocation of the alternative sanction of 3 years and 4 months of limitation of liberty (probation), originally imposed by final sentence of that same judicial body to citizen Fernando Daniel Becquer Cifuentes for various crimes of lewd abuse,” an official note said.

“The new decision of the aforementioned court of justice, based on Article 33 section 1, subparagraph b) of Law No. 152 of 2022 – Criminal Execution Law –, is due to the fact that citizen Becquer Cifuentes has recently incurred in serious acts that flagrantly and notoriously fail to comply with the requirements of good conduct and respect for the norms of social coexistence, to which he was obliged in compliance with the aforementioned legal situation, as had been previously warned,” a statement by the Provincial Court of the Cuban capital added.

On justice, the Bécquer case and gender-based violence

“By virtue of the new ruling, from now on, said citizen will comply with the sanction imposed in the internal regime in a penitentiary establishment,” ended the note, dated this Thursday.

Fernando Bécquer had been found guilty of lascivious abuse by the Centro Habana Municipal Court, after a trial that lasted around 12 hours and in which around 30 women testified. To this day, he insists on his innocence.

Related Posts

Blackout in Old Havana, Cuba

Economic reforms and democratic opening

July 24, 2026
The area’s beauty and preservation have become the only draw for many. Photo: Lied Lorain.

Old Havana: ghost streets, closed venues, nonexistent tourism, and a subdued summer

July 23, 2026
An inclusive cafe in Havana employs young people

An inclusive cafe in Havana employs young people with Down’s syndrome and autism amid Cuba’s crisis

May 21, 2026
Cuban entrepreneurship

U.S. oil siege of Cuba weighs down private sector Washington seeks to aid

May 5, 2026

After several months of his sentence, this Monday Bécquer published the texts of “Guaracha feminista” and “Anti metoo o Menéate con el negrón,” full of lewdness against his victims; in particular, those that took him to court and in general against those who exerted citizen pressure so that the crimes he committed between 1999 and 2021 did not go unpunished.

Bécquer case and accompaniment of criminal proceedings for gender-based violence

In response, entities such as the Federation of Cuban Women (FMC), the Cuban Institute of Music, as well as activists, artists and people in general publicly rejected the lyrics published by Bécquer and the controversy surrounding the sanction that initially was imposed on him intensified, as well as the request that the sentence be reviewed and a harsher sentence be imposed.

  • OnCuba Staff
    OnCuba Staff
Tags: Becquer casegender in CubaGender Violence in Cubasexual abuse
Previous Post

New online form for travelers arriving in Cuba

Next Post

Cuba will take four years to recover the Matanzas Supertanker Base’s capacities

OnCuba Staff

OnCuba Staff

Next Post
Image of the Matanzas Supertanker Base after the fire that affected that important facility in Cuba. Photo: Otmaro Rodriguez.

Cuba will take four years to recover the Matanzas Supertanker Base’s capacities

Cayo Coco. Photo: Vitaldrum/Dreamstime.

The New York Times recommends Cuba among destinations for 2023

Photo: Yuri Díaz Caballero/ACN

First public bicycle system station inaugurated in Havana

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

The conversation here is moderated according to OnCuba News discussion guidelines. Please read the Comment Policy before joining the discussion.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Read

  • The Enchanted Shrimp of the Cuban Dance

    7452 shares
    Share 2981 Tweet 1863
  • Is this Javier Sotomayor´s record on the tight rope?

    112 shares
    Share 45 Tweet 28
  • Cuba’s Next Leader Will Not Be Found in Washington

    20 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • The story behind the “sister flags” of Cuba and Puerto Rico

    157 shares
    Share 63 Tweet 39
  • Vatican foreign minister arrives in Havana to meet with Díaz-Canel

    74 shares
    Share 30 Tweet 19

Most Commented

  • Havana's Malecón. Cuba-US relations

    Cuba’s Next Leader Will Not Be Found in Washington

    20 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • The Birth of a Nation: The Remake

    11 shares
    Share 4 Tweet 3
  • Economic reforms and democratic opening

    14 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Old Havana: ghost streets, closed venues, nonexistent tourism, and a subdued summer

    11 shares
    Share 4 Tweet 3
  • The Announced Measures and What Is Still Missing

    21 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • About us
  • Work with OnCuba
  • Terms of use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Moderation policy for comments
  • Contact us
  • Advertisement offers

OnCuba and the OnCuba logo are registered® trademarks of Fuego Enterprises, Inc., its subsidiaries or divisions.
OnCuba © by Fuego Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • World
  • Cuba
  • Cuba-USA
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Infographic
  • Culture
    • Billboard
  • Sports
  • Styles / Trends
  • Media
  • Special
  • Cuban Flavors

OnCuba and the OnCuba logo are registered® trademarks of Fuego Enterprises, Inc., its subsidiaries or divisions.
OnCuba © by Fuego Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Manage Consent
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
Functional Always active
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
Preferences
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
Statistics
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes. The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
Marketing
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.
  • Manage options
  • Manage services
  • Manage {vendor_count} vendors
  • Read more about these purposes
View preferences
  • {title}
  • {title}
  • {title}
No Result
View All Result
  • World
  • Cuba
  • Cuba-USA
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Infographic
  • Culture
    • Billboard
  • Sports
  • Styles / Trends
  • Media
  • Special
  • Cuban Flavors

OnCuba and the OnCuba logo are registered® trademarks of Fuego Enterprises, Inc., its subsidiaries or divisions.
OnCuba © by Fuego Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.