The week begins for Cubans with the update of the report of sick and deceased due to the COVID-19, whose number rises to 1,087 and 36, respectively, according to authorities of the Ministry of Public Health (MINSAP) at a press conference.
With the statistical cut, made at midnight on Sunday 19, the island confirmed 52 new infections and two new deaths. Nine patients were in critical condition and 11 were in serious condition.
The two who died yesterday were: a woman from Guanabacoa, 72 years old, with a history of high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus, Alzheimer’s and diabetic retinopathy; and a 77-year-old man, from the Contramaestre municipality, Santiago de Cuba, with a history of ischemic heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, high blood pressure and senile dementia.
Of the new infections, 51 are Cubans and one a foreigner (Bolivia); 35 were related to confirmed cases, in 16 of them the source of infection is not specified, while one had contact with travelers from abroad.
Se confirmaron 52 nuevos casos de #COVID19, para un acumulado de 1087 en #Cuba.
▪ 764 positivos ingresados
▪ 744 con evolución clínica estable
▪ 9 pacientes en estado crítico
▪ 11 pacientes en estado grave
▪ 36 fallecidos
▪ 285 altas
▪ 2 evacuadoshttps://t.co/aLtJDpr5zr pic.twitter.com/9kY5IZrjoI
— Ministerio de Salud Pública de Cuba (@MINSAPCuba) April 20, 2020
Twenty-five were women and 27 men and 32.6% of the cases were asymptomatic. The most affected age groups are: 40 to 60 years, with 28 cases (53.8%), followed by those under 40, with 19 cases (36.5%).
The residence by province and municipality of the new cases are:
- Pinar del Río: 1 (from Guane municipality).
- Havana: 30 (10 from the Centro Habana municipality; 4 from Diez de Octubre; 3 from Marianao; Habana del Este, Regla, Cotorro and Boyeros, 2 each; Arroyo Naranjo, Guanabacoa, Old Havana, Cerro and Playa, 1 each).
- Matanzas: 10 (Matanzas and Cárdenas municipalities, 4 each; Limonar and Colón, 1 each).
- Cienfuegos: 1 (from Cienfuegos municipality).
- Villa Clara: 2 (from Camajuaní municipality).
- Ciego de Ávila: 1 (from the municipality of Venezuela).
- Camagüey: 1 (from Camagüey municipality).
- Holguín: 5 (3 from Gibara municipality and 2 from Holguín).
- Santiago de Cuba: 1 (from Santiago de Cuba municipality).
As of last night, 3,232 patients had been admitted to hospitals for clinical epidemiological surveillance, while another 7,059 are under observation at home through primary health care. The country has made a total of 28,598 tests, according to MINSAP.