ES / EN
- August 20, 2026 -
No Result
View All Result
OnCubaNews
  • World
  • Cuba
  • Cuba-USA
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Infographic
  • Culture
    • Billboard
  • Sports
  • Styles / Trends
  • Media
  • Special
  • Cuban Flavors
  • World
  • Cuba
  • Cuba-USA
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Infographic
  • Culture
    • Billboard
  • Sports
  • Styles / Trends
  • Media
  • Special
  • Cuban Flavors
OnCubaNews
ES / EN

Americans who travel to Cuba despite Trump

by
  • Redacción OnCuba
    Redacción OnCuba
February 6, 2018
in Uncategorized
0
Photo by Ramón Espinosa / AP

Photo by Ramón Espinosa / AP

The Trump administration’s restrictions and warning about traveling to Cuba have not convinced several U.S. travel agencies and organizations, which continue promoting visits to the island.

In a Fox News feature, heads of these agencies said that the Department of State has not contributed proof that Americans are at risk when traveling to Cuba.

“There is no proof about a sonic or any other attack. There have been no travel warnings for any other country,” affirmed Bob Guild, vice president of Marazul Tours, one of the oldest U.S. agencies specializing on travel to Cuba.

Guild and representatives of other companies commented to Fox that in a recent meeting with Department of State officials they had not received any new and convincing information about the alleged attacks suffered months back by some 20 U.S. diplomats in Havana.

“We want more information about who these persons were, how they were affected and how they are now,” said Guild, who added that they had not been given “specific information.”

Americans’ trips to Cuba increased with the reestablishment of bilateral relations during the Barack Obama government. In 2016 close to 285,000 Americans visited the island, a figure that rose to 619,000 last year.

If the more than 450,000 Cuban-Americans who also arrived in Cuba were added, the total amounts to more than 1.7 million Americans: a 191 percent growth in relation to 2016.

These figures were reported despite the fact that President Trump strengthened the regulations to travel to the island after the alleged attacks against his country’s officials who suffered symptoms like headaches and loss of hearing. The travel warning issued then by his government for Americans to travel to Cuba changed two weeks ago. The Department of States proposes “reconsidering travel” to the island.

“We do not accept the original travel warning,” said Guild, who believes that the current recommendation is still unjustified.

No complaints

Other travel to Cuba organizations commented that they have received no complaints from the Americans who visited the island with their help.

“We believe Cuba continues being an exceptionally rich and moving travel destination, and the door to travel there is still open,” said Chase Poffenberger, executive vice president of the educational travel provider Academic Travel Abroad.

“We have had an exceptional success with our programs in Cuba,” he commented to Fox News. “The reports by travelers have been notably positive and inspire us to continue doing what we do.”

The Cuban authorities have questioned the alleged attacks against U.S. diplomats and have suggested that the Trump administration is using them as a pretext to undermine the rapprochement between the two countries during the Obama government.

Related Posts

Havana's Malecón. Cuba-US relations

Cuba’s Next Leader Will Not Be Found in Washington

August 10, 2026
Black child in front of Trump Tower

The Birth of a Nation: The Remake

July 31, 2026
Blackout in Old Havana, Cuba

Economic reforms and democratic opening

July 24, 2026
The area’s beauty and preservation have become the only draw for many. Photo: Lied Lorain.

Old Havana: ghost streets, closed venues, nonexistent tourism, and a subdued summer

July 23, 2026

Last September, in the midst of the growing tension between the two countries, the American Association of Cuban Tour Operators, which represents more than 50 companies that operate on the island, said in a press release that no visitor from its country had suffered “acoustic attacks” on the island.

In a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing in early January, Department of State officials said they were not sure that sonic attacks had occurred and handled other hypotheses, like those of a virus. They also recognized that more than a year after the first reported incidents, the U.S. government doesn’t know who is responsible.

Tourism on the rise, private sector not so much

Half a year after President Trump froze the rapprochement between the United States and Cuba with the alleged idea of pressuring the island’s government to promote a political change and benefit the incipient private sector, his intentions seem to be out of step.

According to figures by the Cuban authorities which AP had access to, in 2017 a record 4.7 million visitors was registered – an 18 percent increase in relation to 2016 -, and more than 3 billion dollars entered the country thanks to tourism, the major part by the state-run sector.

On the other hand, many owners of private restaurants and accommodations reported lows in their businesses. The statistics indicate that only 34 percent of the tourists, without specifying nationality, stayed in the 24,000 private rooms registered in Cuba.

“With the announcement of the rapprochement by President Obama and during the following months, there was a tourist boom. You could see them everywhere,” Rodolfo Morales, a 74-year-old retiree who complements his pension with the renting of his rooms, said to AP. “We neighbors called each other because we had no room for so many visitors…. Then it collapsed.”

According to Morales, this boom took place between December 2014 and mid-2017, but in the last six months he didn’t have a single American guest. The panorama got worse with Hurricane Irma, which affected the state-run tourist infrastructure and quite a lot of private accommodations.

Trump’s measures restricting individual trips was another hard blow, since many Americans who arrived through that means opted for staying in private rooms. According to an article in The Hill, around 35 percent of Cuba’s Airbnb guests came from the United States.

With and without Americans

For economist and academic expert on tourism José Luis Perelló, Trump was unable to close the gap of visitors that was opened with Obama, while he observed a new tendency in terms of trips to the island: the cruises.

More than half a million cruise passengers arrived in Cuba in 2017, compared to the 184,000 the previous year.

  • Redacción OnCuba
    Redacción OnCuba
Previous Post

An 18-karat toilet for Trump

Next Post

And, I went to Santiago

Redacción OnCuba

Redacción OnCuba

Next Post
Photo by Kaloian

And, I went to Santiago

Tourists in Havana. Photo: Otmaro Rodríguez.

Sonic attacks or collective hysteria?

Nature is one of Viñales great values. Photo: Guillermo Seijo.

The overexploitation of Viñales

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

The conversation here is moderated according to OnCuba News discussion guidelines. Please read the Comment Policy before joining the discussion.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Read

  • The Enchanted Shrimp of the Cuban Dance

    7451 shares
    Share 2980 Tweet 1863
  • Is this Javier Sotomayor´s record on the tight rope?

    112 shares
    Share 45 Tweet 28
  • Cuba’s Next Leader Will Not Be Found in Washington

    20 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • The story behind the “sister flags” of Cuba and Puerto Rico

    157 shares
    Share 63 Tweet 39
  • Camila Bordón: “I still dance with my Cuban rhythm, even though now I sound more like a Colombian”

    23 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6

Most Commented

  • Havana's Malecón. Cuba-US relations

    Cuba’s Next Leader Will Not Be Found in Washington

    20 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • The Birth of a Nation: The Remake

    11 shares
    Share 4 Tweet 3
  • Economic reforms and democratic opening

    14 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • Old Havana: ghost streets, closed venues, nonexistent tourism, and a subdued summer

    10 shares
    Share 4 Tweet 3
  • The Announced Measures and What Is Still Missing

    21 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • About us
  • Work with OnCuba
  • Terms of use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Moderation policy for comments
  • Contact us
  • Advertisement offers

OnCuba and the OnCuba logo are registered® trademarks of Fuego Enterprises, Inc., its subsidiaries or divisions.
OnCuba © by Fuego Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • World
  • Cuba
  • Cuba-USA
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Infographic
  • Culture
    • Billboard
  • Sports
  • Styles / Trends
  • Media
  • Special
  • Cuban Flavors

OnCuba and the OnCuba logo are registered® trademarks of Fuego Enterprises, Inc., its subsidiaries or divisions.
OnCuba © by Fuego Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Manage Consent
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
Functional Always active
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
Preferences
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
Statistics
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes. The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
Marketing
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.
  • Manage options
  • Manage services
  • Manage {vendor_count} vendors
  • Read more about these purposes
View preferences
  • {title}
  • {title}
  • {title}
No Result
View All Result
  • World
  • Cuba
  • Cuba-USA
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Infographic
  • Culture
    • Billboard
  • Sports
  • Styles / Trends
  • Media
  • Special
  • Cuban Flavors

OnCuba and the OnCuba logo are registered® trademarks of Fuego Enterprises, Inc., its subsidiaries or divisions.
OnCuba © by Fuego Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved.