The Cuatro Caminos Market will reopen on November 16, as part of the celebrations for the 500th anniversary of the founding of the township of San Cristóbal de La Habana, the Cubadebate website reported this Wednesday.
The famous neoclassical style enclave located between Monte, Cristina, Matadero and Arroyo streets, dates back to 1920, and was one of the main commercial centers of the city in the last century.
It was recovered by the CIMEX S.A. Business Group, current owner of the facility.
The market will have, on its ground floor, an agricultural market, a flower shop, cleaning products shops, and the Cuban Fund of Cultural Goods, in addition to a liquor shop, bakery, an outlet belonging to Tecnoazúcar and another of El Rey meat products.
Within that area there are also ATMs, an ETECSA services point, and a workshop that will provide technical guarantee and post-warranty services for the equipment sold there.
Meanwhile, household items, electrical appliances and hardware products will be sold on the second floor. A cafeteria, on that level, has space for children’s recreation.
The restoration of the market took four years, due to the complexities it presented in its structure, especially on the roof, CIMEX architect Yosbel Hernández Peñate and civil engineer Dolores Díaz Álvarez told Cubadebate.
Designed as the only market of its kind in Cuba, Cuatro Caminos will be operated by an intelligent design for air conditioning, security, telephony and electricity.
Although solar panels are already installed and will be used for power generation, the necessary ones for the entire building will be completed next year.